Thursday, August 25, 2011

It’s Never Too Late to Have a Wonderful Childhood! Globetrotting with my wonderful Uncle, Emil Shulsinger!

It’s true!  I’ve known my uncle my whole life.  Not only because he’s my uncle, but because he’s made the effort to BE there.  He was there when I was a newborn, he was there when I was a crazy kid, when I got married, when I needed a place to crash and ski or bum a free meal while traveling the East Coast, and he was there when my lovely business partner and I joined our practices together, becoming our first official “new” Ballou Plum client.  Home base:  Aurora, Colorado.  Backyard:  The World!   Since you probably won’t get to meet him much at client events --- though he was able to make it to our 2009 Holiday Open House --- we’ll have to cover as much as possible in his Blog this month.  His love of family and the time he makes for them, his love of tennis and all outdoor sports, and his many treks bike riding, hiking, eating and drinking his way around the globe, are all evidence of a life well lived.  Add that to a great sense of humor ---- he wanted to see my Blog questions first before being “ready to commit to be the August Playmate” --- and you will all enjoy reading about the life and times of my Uncle Butch, aka Emil Shulsinger.

Uncle Butch enjoys our Holiday Party.

Since I've known you my whole life, we could share a lot of fun --- and maybe even some embarrassing --- moments in this Blog!  But for those of our readers who don't know you as well as I do, let's start with your childhood. Where were you born, what shaped your love of athletics and the outdoors, (especially tennis, skiing, camping, bike riding) and your keen sense of adventure and travel?
  
I was born in Rock Springs, WY, but only lived there for a short time and lived in various parts of the Midwest, including Missouri, Kansas, and South Dakota until I reached the age of 10. At that time the family moved to New York City, where I lived until I graduated from college. Although I went to 13 grade schools, it is untrue that the sheriff was after us. My father worked for what is now the FAA and since he had only gone to school through the 6th grade he changed positions and locations often as a means of advancing within his field. Although this was hard on the family, he did end up quite successfully as the regional maintenance manager for the north east region of the country.

I’m not sure what shaped my love of athletics and the outdoors, but I’m sure the lack of a permanent location combined with the freedom of the times (which doesn’t seem to exist now) caused me to be an independent person who loved the outdoors and physical enjoyments. I actually didn’t partake of organized sports until much later in life. I started playing tennis when I was in my 30s and didn’t do much camping until I had a family. Like all kids I wanted a bike as soon as I could have one and it was my means to both adventure and income. I became a paperboy when I was about 10 and continued to work at that until I was in high school, when I got better paying jobs.  I always seemed to be directed in my interests between college and establishing myself in my career and family.  So I put most of the athletic endeavors on the shelf, as it wasn’t until I was bit by the tennis bug in my 30s that I started with tennis.

Uncle Butch and four-legged friends at Trappers Lake, Colorado.

So, don't take this the wrong way, Uncle Butch, but my favorite early
memory of you isn't anything all that serious --- it's actually you behind
the wheel of your convertible --- Cadillac?  Right?  I don't remember what
year it was, but I just know that I couldn't wait to be your age and own a
convertible (which I did finally buy at age 40 as my mid-life crisis car)!
How did you end up living in Southern California around that time?  Tell us
about your life and how it evolved during that era.

When I was a senior in college I decided to come out to Southern California to see you all. I got on a plane in New York in a snow storm and landed in L.A. in sunny 70 degree weather. On the way home from the airport your dad drove me along the beach and when we reached Manhattan Beach there were all the comely young women in bikinis play volleyball. I quickly decided which environment had more appeal and started planning to go to Southern Cal when I graduated!

Southern Cal was a great place to be a single male in the early 60s and I thoroughly immersed myself in the lifestyle. That included the long white convertible that you remember, which unfortunately was not a Cadillac but a Ford. Along with the car came life in the apartment complexes of Baldwin Hills --- building after building built around a swimming pool and containing single young people plus some that weren’t so young but wanted to be. I lived in a building that contained a number of stewardesses, a night club owner, a number of the Ram’s pro football team, and other various and sundry characters. For a poor young college grad, THIS was paradise!


Uncle Butch (top) and Joe Shulsinger (Lynn’s dad, bottom) at the beach on Long Island.

While all this was going on, I maintained a job designing electronics at Hughes Aircraft Co. working in the defense industry. Sometimes there were time and certainly energy conflicts between the two and finally I wore down and decided I needed to get married and start a family. Looking back on it now, maybe a restful vacation would have been a better solution!  

  Emil hiking in Ireland.

So fast forward through a few health scares, and the next time we really
get to spend time together is after I'm married (and before my kids come
along!) and you are living in Maryland, working in D.C.  What was your
professional focus then?  How did you weather the East Coast, those health scares and challenges?


That’s quite a jump!  After working in the space program on things like the first synchronous communication satellite (Syncom) and the unmanned lunar landing vehicle (Surveyor), I helped create and operate a new facility in Denver where we installed a system that we designed for the government.   Skipping many details, I eventually went from there to manage a contract for Hughes at the National Photographic Interpretation Center (NPIC). That led to me managing a division of a subsidiary of Hughes and working to get new business for Hughes.

Unfortunately after arriving on the East Coast in 1984 I came down with bladder cancer in early 1985. Naturally that took time and energy away from my work and I underwent a prolonged treatment program. The good news is that after a couple of operations and follow-up treatment I have had no recurrence of the cancer.

I didn’t realize that Washington was such a high stress environment until much later when I retired and reflected on the time there. Whether related to the stress or not, in 1991 I had a minor heart attack and had angioplasty work done at George Washington Hospital just like the ex-VP!

By then, the handwriting was on the wall and when Hughes was in the process of downsizing they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and I retired in December of 1993 and moved back to Denver. As before, I was happy to leave the East Coast behind.

 Emil biking through Bryce Canyon National Park.


I definitely want to focus on your sense of travel adventure, but before
that, you and my Dad both shared a love of all things edible.  You were both WAY ahead of your time as Master Chefs!  I remember you canning, smoking your own salmon, and being a bit ahead of the "foodie" phase of American life.  How did that come about for you?  What were some of your favorite discoveries?


I’m not sure how much of a master chef I was but you know they say you are good at the things you love. Well, I loved eating and my mother believed that boys should know how to do domestic things so that they could survive without a wife --- so what better than cooking?  Somewhere along the line both my parents instilled the thought in us that you could do almost anything if you tried, so experimentation became natural to us. Whether it was building a television set from a kit with my father to learning to grow our own vegetables with my mother to learning to crochet… of course being poor and not having any sisters provided the environment.

Both my wives were good cooks and I really didn’t interfere much in the kitchen so it was after I retired that I took up “gourmet” cooking. Now that I’m eating to live rather than living to eat I am a lot less adventurous in my cooking.

Upon reflection, I believe that both your dad and I would have probably fit in better when pioneering and farming were more in vogue.

Another passion you and my dad shared was tennis.  So, Dad quit his job
and worked with a friend on the invention now known as the Tennis Ball
Machine.  You seemed to have avoided that financial fiasco rather well,
focusing instead on playing top level tennis.  Tell us about your
love of the sport --- how did it start, how far did you take it, and what's
your involvement with the sport today?


As you said, my brother and I approached tennis from different angles. I don’t believe he played tennis much if at all but I began playing tennis when in California mostly to have some interests in common to do with my wife when the kids were small. I quickly fell in love with the game, the strategy, and the way it brought out the personality of the players. From there on I never looked back and played tennis at every opportunity.

Since I never played until I was in my 30s and never took lessons, I am and always have been limited in my abilities. Local leagues and tournaments were ideally suited to my ability and availability. When I moved to Washington I threw a box full of trophies into the garbage rather than transport them to the East Coast.

Of course age and health problems have further restricted my capabilities to largely playing doubles, but it is a sport I continue to enjoy in retirement and hope to into old age as evidenced by making it to the national senior games once. 

 Uncle Butch, standing third from right, with amigos in Costa Rica.

So, let's switch gears (ha ha) and focus on your love of biking and traveling around the world. How did you become such a passionate bicyclist?

When I retired in 1993 I had been to almost all of the U.S. and had managed limited travel to Mexico and Canada. My major concentration prior to retirement had been about raising a family and pursuing my career and my work in the defense/intelligence business, which restricted any thought of travel to many parts of the world.  So upon retirement I thought about the whole rest of the world I had not seen and decided to change that.

I started hiking and skiing in Colorado and ran across a group that also did overseas hiking trips and basically never looked back.   After hiking in France, Switzerland and Great Britain with this group --- which combined about half Americans and half Brits --- I found that some of the group also did biking overseas.  I decided that since I enjoyed biking as a kid I’d try it. So off to Switzerland we went and overseas biking became a major interest. I have been on many biking trips to France as well as trips to Portugal, Spain, Czech Republic, South Africa, New Zealand and Tasmania, to name a few.

As a result of some of my league tennis play I heard about a group that did cultural exchanges overseas while playing tennis with the indigenous people. I thought, “what a great idea!” and so off I went to China, Russia, and recently to several Balkan countries.

Sprinkled in between these overseas trips, I have also stayed true to the good old USA and have taken several multiday trips here including BRAN (a biking trip across Nebraska), a biking trip across southern Utah (covering several national parks) and many multi-day Rails to Trails biking trips in Idaho, Maryland, Wisconsin, and most recently Missouri.

How do you decide what adventures to take?  Please share with us some
of the best and most unforgettable trips you've been on as a world traveling bicyclist.


The simplest answer to your question is whatever strikes my fancy at the time.  As I mentioned before, I had the whole world to choose from so in the beginning it was pretty much any trip that was available at the time I wanted to go. Now I’ve had to be a little more selective with my destinations.

I’m going to ignore your last word (bicyclist) since although my bicycling trips were great, many of my most memorable trips weren’t on bicycles. The trip to South Africa included a camera safari that was out of this world, a truly unique experience. My tennis trips to China and Russia were really mind expanding, and those were places I thought I’d never see for security reasons.

Recently the world watched in amazement as powerful leaders in the
Middle East were ousted.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when you came back and shared with me that you were in Egypt there on tour when the whole uprising began.   How did you find yourself there at that moment in history?  What was that like?  How did you make it out safely?  

  
All of my adult life I’ve wanted to see the Middle East and had always put it off until things settled down there. After seeing a Road Scholar brochure for a trip that included Israel, Jordon, and Egypt I decided that things were never going to settle down and this January I went to those three countries.

It was a great trip with all the history and religion. It was also a trip of contrasts. When we were touring Petra and one of the guides was lecturing, a Bedouin rode by on his camel with his flowing robes and was talking on his cell phone.  Apparently they don’t have any driving with distraction laws yet.

The last two days of our stay in Egypt got more interesting as the demonstrations in Cairo started while we were visiting the Egyptian museum and the market. Things were very peaceful, however, so no one got concerned. On the next day, I was scheduled to fly out of Cairo at 4 a.m. and the ride to the airport got exciting as we had to detour once for the demonstrators who were burning a car in the highway and once when the police ordered us to turn around. The driver was very resourceful and got us there with no further incidents. I found out later that the later trips to the airport were also without incident as the tour company found safe ways through the city. So much for things settling down!

 Uncle Butch tours Italy!

How would you recommend a reader interested in these approaches to travel find these opportunities?

As with so much today the internet and Google are great resources. Some companies that I have found to be good are Vermont Bicycling Touring Company (VBT) for biking both in the US and overseas; Road Scholar (Elderhostel) for all kinds of trips (biking, hiking, educational, sightseeing, and voyages) both U.S. and international; Hindriks Bike Tours (http://www.hindrikstours.com/) for European biking; and HF Holidays for hiking in Great Britain and Europe with Brits. These are only a few that I have used and liked, there are many, many more. One of the keys is to match your ability to the level of the trip and your level of desired luxury to the trip and company. Some stay in four and five star hotels and some camp out at night. 

 Exploring America on two wheels.

Once you are looking at a company and a trip, talk to people who have been on it and find out how they liked it, as well as what they didn’t. I find that most people are glad to share their knowledge. If you don’t know anyone, ask the company for names of people. Also many sites have places for comments and customer exchanges.

Anyone can contact me by email at EShul@juno.com and I’ll be glad to share my limited knowledge and opinions. They are worth what you pay for them.

You have, as your most recent health "adventures," undergone two heart
valve replacements, and yet, nothing seems to slow you down!  What kind of shape does someone need to be in to enjoy these types of travels?  

  
First of all my advice is to take your trips as soon as you decide you want to go somewhere. As Satchel Paige said, “Don’t look behind you, you can never tell what’s catching up.”

Know the shape you’re in (not the one you’d like to be in) and find out the level of fitness required on the specific trip. The companies are generally quite candid about the level of fitness required for the trip. No one wants to be (or have) the person who holds up everyone. Also remember that most trips include a sag wagon where you can ride if necessary or the weather is inclement. Then, train for the trip!  If it’s bicycling, spend the time in the saddle before-hand so you can enjoy your time on the trip.

So, what's the next adventure, Uncle Butch?


Believe it or not, I don’t have any planned yet unless you count my camping trip to Trappers Lake with much of my family. I need to start planning the next one and although I would like to go to Scandinavia, Kodiak Island, and the rest of Australia, I’m ready to go where the spirit moves me or someone leads me. 

Some of our Blog readers may want to be in touch with you or view more
of your travel pictures.  How can they reach you and how can they view some of these amazing pictures, especially those you took recently in the Middle East?


The email I listed above is probably the best way. My phone number is 303-690-7946 where you can leave a message and I’ll get back with you. I’ll be glad to make whatever pictures people are interested in available for those I have in digital form or on a share site. Some of the more recent ones were made available on share sites that I haven’t been able to copy or add new people. I’m sure I’ll solve that eventually. Those that were taken before I went digital are more difficult to share but I’m sure we can solve that if someone is interested.

I hope you can see from my Uncle’s Blog what we all know here --- he’s a great guy!   And I know my Uncle’s sincere in his offer to fill you in on any of the tours and groups he’s been able to enjoy over the years, so you really shouldn’t feel shy about reaching out to him.  And, if you are ready for an adventure and need a traveling companion, I’m sure he’d love to hear from you!  He’s always interested in learning more about the world, its fascinating inhabitants and natural resources, and exploring its many facets.   We’ll probably have to check back with him for an adventure update in the not too distant future --- if I can find him!  


Emil and friends hiking in Ireland.